Friday, November 18, 2016

Not so common around here

I earlier said in a post that my nephews and niece are good spotters of birds and it was proved again. One day my niece called me out to the frontyard with a hurried at the same time hushed tone. I knew it could mean only one thing and so off I ran with the camera and saw this beautiful creature..I would not have seen it myself!Kids do have a keen eye..

The pretty bird was not bothered by us watching, honestly never noticed we were there and kept plucking the grass out.Initially I mistook it for a woodpecker but woodpeckers do not go out digging soil,do they? So after a little research found out that this is Common Hoopoe known as கொண்டலாத்தி/Kondalathi in Tamil.Its tamil name sound very charming. Then I recalled I have seen this bird in the recent Jungle book movie.I also found out a good site that had interesting facts about Kondalathi with astounding pictures. Strongly recommend it for a read.Who knew this is the national bird of Israel?

4 comments:

  1. Very nice. Apt name for the bird in Tamil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, what an attractive name.. proves the richness of the language isnt't..

      Delete
    2. Yes. True. Not only the bird, it's name is also cute. Wish to see the bird in person.

      Delete
    3. from what I have seen, there is just one around here.. you might have a chance to watch them when you're here

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by.Would love to hear your comments ...

!!!

Saying nothing sometimes says the most Emily Dickinson