Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Zero shadow bunny

Okay, Nerd time ON.
Since the start of this year, I had been itching to get to zero shadow day. A simple google search would have told me when is the zero shadow day for where I live but I went the old school way and started monitoring my shadow whenever I was out in the sun starting from March and calculating the advent of zero shadow day on my own. This was in March.

And during this experiment,I was astonished to figure out that the Sun's path in the sky is not a straight line as I had imagined all these days but the Sun takes a path rather like this.
Picture from the internet

As April neared, it dawned on me how skilled our ancestors were in astronomy when they chose April 14 to celebrate the Tamil new year day. Yeah, the sun was only a few inches short of being right above us when April started.And on April 18,four days after the Tamil new year, it was zero shadow day in my place.I took this photo when my garden bunny hopped happily to pose for me to show the zero shadow that was cast. 
Now the first zero shadow day is crossed, there is one more that will occur in August. Hope I am able to take a picture on August 24 and share it.I learnt a lot with this little experiment of mine and I am content for this year,astronomy wise,even if I go this year without seeing a meteor shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.Would love to hear your comments ...

!!!

Saying nothing sometimes says the most Emily Dickinson