Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Garden update -- Herbs

The garden is now delivering something to the food table every day. The ornamentals always do but only now we have everyday produce from something or the other in the veg/herb department,especially the herbs.
We do not have to do anything to propagate in a new container. Just place the new pot nearby and they will 'hop'
An usual day's haul
 My long time efforts at growing mint in container has finally come to a great success. We now have at least four containers of mint keeping us a steady supply.We have done mint repotting twice for all of the containers. I will talk about mint repotting in detail in my next month's garden post.
Early morning harvest,like at 6 AM
This is a good weather to grow methi/fenugreek. I sowed in three small pots and some seeds here and there and now we have methi supply guaranteed for atleast a month. We will be sowing some more like this until late March and stop after when the weather gets too hot.
I have my doubts for them..gardening is a game of wait and watch
Lastly,I have again started to try my hand at growing coriander. This is a tricky herb to grow and we have only 25% success rate till now for two years. Luckily we came across a store selling good quality coriander seeds,they sell for culinary use but when tried to sow, all the seeds germinated to our delight. Two pots of just germinated tiny coriander plants and all our fingers crossed.

I do not have a picture of the curry plants (trees!) that provide with us fresh leaves everyday,so not including them here. We also have different types of keerai growing in very minor quantities like manathakkali,ponnanganni,mulai keerais'. I will try to squeeze a picture in my next month's herb post.

I will sneak in a pretty picture although they are not herbs. We were blessed to have fresh flowers from the garden to decorate the lamps for Karthigai deepam day.I was mesmerized by the freshness of these chrysanthemums.I bet you would be too...Enjoy and have a wonderful day!See ya in next...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.Would love to hear your comments ...

!!!

Saying nothing sometimes says the most Emily Dickinson