Saturday, December 3, 2016

Ornamentals

As I said in my garden blog, I would be posting updates on our gardening efforts over here until I get time again to maintain a fulltime garden blog.I was wishing to post a garden update for the month of November but it never happened.So I have decided I will split the garden entry into three categories -herbs,vegetables,ornamentals and do three posts per month,this way it will save time as well as limit the picture counts per post.So today let me start by showing around the ornamentals currently decorating our garden.

The roses have bloomed all through the year,thankfully, but they look the prettiest in winter.We have more than 10 plants and I'll restrict myself by showing only a few.




The mums have started their magic.We planted this mum in mid April and the sapling had only a few leaves and the vendor assured it is a yellow one. We were surprised when the sapling soon developed into a big massive plant and put up loads of buds around September.Got to know from mom that this variety of chrysanthemum is called 'saamanthi' in tamil and very different from the usual 'chevvanthi' variety.We like them a lot. We are picking a dozen every other day.

Apart from the wearable ornamentals, we do get other flowers from the garden to decorate the Pooja room. We get atleast one big basket full of these every single day.


Finally I want to show the marigold that has finally agreed to grow in the garden. We have tried for over a year to grow atleast one marigold plant but they never worked.We sowed many but none germinated, then we borrowed a sapling from our native village but it died quickly. Last Summer we found a seed vendor that sold viable seeds and we have now four plants growing. The buds are very tiny compared to a regular marigold flower size but we'll take it. Something is better than nothing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.Would love to hear your comments ...

!!!

Saying nothing sometimes says the most Emily Dickinson