Saturday, December 30, 2017

Books read this year

A quick post on books I had read this year. I had always been an avid reader. I try to read anything that is on print and that comes into my hand. I remember back when I was in school I used to read every bit of information in the package covers. Those days they mostly used only old newspapers for packaging groceries and once my mom had unpacked all of the groceries,she would hand over the interesting ones to us to read.I used to revel and feel very happy whenever we get packages done with the siruvar malar paper. And from there I moved on to weekly magazines and comics and then small novels and my reading habit slowly grew. I always make sure I have a book in my bag whenever I travel. As this year comes to an end, I started thinking what all I read this year. I had indeed bought many books this year but I could read only a very few.I opted to read leisurely and only a few pages at a time this year and read only in those late night hours when I couldn't catch some sleep.Normally it takes me only a week to complete a book. This year having taken it slow,here is the list of books I completed this year..

1.Agatha Christie:
Three act tragedy : A quick read and though I did not guess the murderer right away I had a hunch which turned out to be right at the end. 

Lord Edgware dies: A good mystery, liked the way Poirot solved it but felt a little dragging in the middle.A strong start and the finish made it a worthwhile read.

Hercule Poirot's Christmas : Guessed the suspect right away and proved right at the end. An average and a one time read,maybe because I had high hopes before I started reading it.I was hoping the novel will detail many festive scenes but it was very dry.

2.PG Wodehouse;
Right Ho Jeeves:  Jeeves decides to leave Bertie's employment.Bertie stays in a country house where he meets his ex fiancee whom he decided to help without Jeeves assistance. A hilarious read as usual from PGW.

The girl on the boat : I did not enjoy this one as much as I did the other PGW books I had so far. But still made it through till the end.Luckily this was an ebook and I did not spend any bucks buying it.

3.  A lot of TINTIN comics and TINKLE books : When I was searching for good ebooks I came across a blog which turned to be treasure trove for quality ebooks and one of the links had all the TINTIN comics in the ebook format. I was elated, it even had the very first TINTIN comic that ever got published. I downloaded them all and read one per month, so six done so far. In the book fair that happened in the city I was fortunate to find old tinkle books for a reasonable price. I had good time reading them through out this year.

4. The alchemist : I bought a tamil version of this Paulo Coelho novel and gave it to my mom. She enjoyed the book. I read it too even though I had read the english version loads of time before.

5. Sacred hearts : I wrote about it before in a post, listing it here for the count.

Thats all I could recall, I think I am missing one but the mere fact I couldn't remember it should say a lot about the the content of the book so its best to leave it,me thinks. So all in all , an average year for book reading but I had originally intended to not read anything at all this year, so I am happy with the average count.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.Would love to hear your comments ...

!!!

Saying nothing sometimes says the most Emily Dickinson